Monday, April 13, 2009

When Spring Break is everything but a break

It's been almost a month since I last posted. I'm trying to remember what in the world I was doing that prevented me from writing or was so boring that I felt no need to write about it. I can barely remember the last week so we might be at an impass here. I was focused completely on school after Jillian left and I was SOOOOOO looking forward to Spring Break. Spring Break is officially over today and I can't be more relieved. I had intended to spend this week writing and finishing my screenplay for its submission into a very important competition May 1st, maybe going out with friends, and getting ahead on my homework. A big 'Thank You' (and I say that with every ounce of sarcasm I have left in my poor tired self) to my douchebag boss for scheduling me for 9 days straight. She magnanimously let me off on Monday, and I called in on Thursday. Every other day was spent slugging it out with the monkeys. I was livid. I also felt horrible for most of the week so that didn't help either. I did actually get alot added to the screenplay by sheer determination alone. I also managed to fit in quite a bit of fun, although granny paid for it every single time.
The week in question started on Saturday when a good friend told me that her engagement was off and she was officially single. We all started partying it up on Thursday at the wrap party for 'The Unit.' I have been to quite a few before but this one was the most fun by far. I spent Thursday resting from a long night of writing and not feeling well, and then I ran out to get an appropriate party outfit. I was dismayed that I had no girly friends to take shopping. It was rather depressing. I did manage to find something perfect. By 8pm we stopped to pick up Rob and his roommate Ian, and were on our way to a place in Hollywood called Sugar. Open bar, as always, but I was designated driver so I limited myself and watched the other three get hammered. I also got to take a photo with Scott Foley, who is totally nice and totally cute.

Friday night we managed to round up the usual suspects (me, Tam, John) and finally added a couple of new additions (Aimee, Rob) for 'Game Night.' A drinking, card playing extravaganza. The night was meant to end early, and it did, just early in the a.m. not the p.m. It was a fabulous time.

I had church this morning for Easter and my last horrible shift. I never thought I'd actually be relieved to be back to school in the morning. I had more time when I wasn't on vacation. I'm also trying to remain calm because I leave in about 5 weeks for my trips and it feels too short. I don't really have anything to do but get passport photos taken for my Sorbonne ID, and pack, but it's still stressing me out. It's strange, but for a few reasons I can't mention and just the fact that I really love my life here, I'm almost feeling sad to be gone for so long. Then I remember where I'm going and I mentally slap myself and call me crazy. My life will be here when I get back. It's just six weeks again...but I will miss my puppies.

It's funny how once you stop trying to meddle with the inner workings of life by switching around cogs, or trying to make it turn faster or slower, you can stand back and see how perfectly it moves itself. It's been nice to relinquish control, not that I had any anyway. Sometimes we just forget that if we let go of our little pieces of brass that we think are so very precious, God can replace it with something priceless.

No comments: